The weather has been up and down during October, but there have been a few days when the sun has been shining and the wind has been light. Once we get into November we start running our standby system where we only plan flights with two or three days notice, when we know the weather forecast is good. That way it avoids lots of disappointment when the weather isn’t right. Cold, bright, crisp Autumn days can be fabulous for ballooning.
Archives for October 2010
We have all been on standby since the 1st October to take part in a record attempt for 75 balloons to fly across the channel. As yet the weather and wind direction have not been right. We have had a couple of times when we thought it may happen but the weather patterns have been changing quite quickly. We are on standby until the end of the month but at the moment the wind and weather doesn’t look like we will be going before the 31st. We are hoping that the organisers will extend to period into November to enable the flight to go ahead.
The launch will be from Lyddon Hall racing circuit which is about six miles inland from Dover. Tony Brown, our chief pilot, will be taking off first to check the winds to see if they are as forecast so we can all make a safe crossing.
This really will be a fantastic flight and something we are all really looking forward to, so let hope the weather comes good soon.
For more information take a look at the website www.airborneballoons.co.uk/cross_channel.php
As well as hopefully breaking the record for the most number of balloons crossing it should also raise a lot of money for charity too.